Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Washinton DC Trip 2010

Well, here we are in the Washington DC area visiting Teresa's sister and her family. We got here last night and are already having a great time. Here are some photos from the trip so far.


Kate is ready to check into the Red Roof Inn, where we stayed the night before flying out early the next morning. It was nice not having to race up to the airport from Puyallup at O'Dark-Thirty.

We ate at the Bahama Breeze Restaurant at South Center before hitting the hay...

Cole is ready for dinner...
Jack informed us that he is NOT ordering off of the children's menu...


The plane had a little condensation problem before we took off on our connecting flight from North Carolina. Can you say 95 degrees and 95% humidity?

Before going to bed, I just had to see one of those LOUD locust up close. I wish I hadn't looked! This one was attached to my shirt and then ended up in the house. Nathan's cat got a hold of it and ate it slowly as it made a horrible noise. Our first exposure to Maryland entomology.


The next morning I took the 5:30am train with Buzz to work. He spent half a day in the office and I spent the morning walking around the city in the monsoon. That is Buzz waiting for the train to stop and pick us up. It took us about 30 minutes to get into downtown D.C. from the station by their house.
I took a trip up the Washington Monument. It's awsome because almost every attraction is free!
The view of the Mall was really cool, but a little cloudy and rainy...

The bad weather kept the crowds away. I am not kidding when I say I was the ONLY person within view on the mall...


I loved the WWII monument. So beautiful and well designed. I will definately be coming back here when the weather breaks...

Here is part of the Korean War Memorial. There were dozens of Korean tourist, including a 8th grade from South Korea that looked a little bored as their teacher told them all about it...


I meant it when I said MONSOON! Here are the steps of the Lincoln Memorial actually flowing with rain water....

Some buildings seemed smaller than I imagined, but old Abe was as larger than I expected!

Her is a shot of the statue at the Vietnam War Memorial...
The White House! Much smaller than I imagined, but also much closer to the street than I imagined! However, I am sure I was being watched by no less than a dozen people as I was digging through my backpack looking for my other camera lens!
I was NOT impressed with White House lawn. I have a better lawn than Barack! Time to fire the groundskeeper!
The view from Buzz's office building, the Department of Justice. Wouldn't that be cool to see every day going to work!
Buzz and I had lunch near Ford's Theater before heading back home...
When I got back from my morning adventure, what did I find the cousins doing? Watching a movie of course! I know that they will melt in the rain, but lets go outside, eh!

No comments: